Monday, August 18, 2014

I Dropped the Ball

We had a beautiful morning today as I launched The Anglers Mark down at the Sawpit Creek boat ramp.  Michael Allen, his dad John, and their friend Chuck met me at the ramp and we headed up the Amelia River and into Jackstaff to fish an outgoing tide with jigs and mud minnows. I took a little while to get rolling but we eventually began to get some bites.  Chuck first tangled with a couple of Ladyfish then landed a feisty Redfish.  Michael followed that up with a couple of Redfish, too, then landed a couple of Seatrout.   We ran around to the Nassau River, fished Twin Creeks,
had no real bites then hit Bubblegum Reef.  The anglers picked up a couple of Croakers then we fished some docks at Seymore's Pointe.  Michael boated a keeper sized Snapper then we made the run to Broward Island.  This did the trick!  We were only there for a few minutes when Chuck caught another small Redfish.  Then I thought I heard Michael yell, "Fish ON" but after I grabbed the net and looked at the water it was Chuck fighting a fish!  When mentioned that I thought Michael had the fish, he said, "I do have one!"  We had a double and I didn't even know it! So I went around the console to net Michael's Flounder but before I could get there, Fish OFF!  It was a nice, keeper sized Flounder, too!   But Chuck had worked his fish patiently to the boat and we soon netted a nice 20" Slot Redfish!  Shortly after that, though, Michael had another hookup and we got that Flounder in the boat to round out an Amelia Island Back Country Slam of Redfish, Seatrout, and Flounder.  We fished the area for jut a little while longer then headed in, counting it as another great day to be fishing Amelia Island waters!

No comments: