Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Low Pressure High Pressure

I fished with Dwayne Craig and  his buddies Jeff and David two days in a row. They were on a "road trip" down from Illinois and I think they may have brought the latest cold spell with them! Yesterday it wasn't too cold but the wind was increasing from 9mph at start time with a forecast to 23mph (and they were right!)  David had noted that the barometric pressure was dropping which should have made for some great fishing and with overcast skies and  misty rain, we would have thought that the Trout would be on fire.

We fished Bell River, then behind Tiger, then ran back to Bell and
further up the river to fish some docks. Finally, we began to catch some Seatrout on jigs and live shrimp and the Jeff put a keeper sized Sheepshead in the boat. We worked the docks thoroughly and caught a good couple of handfuls of 14" Seatrout. We came back to Lanceford Creek, fished some docks out of the ever increasing wind and somewhere in there Jeff added a keeper sized Weakfish. By the time we got back to the Dee Dee Bartels ramp, the west wind was kicking, enough so that it made it very dangerous to disembark
from the boat, but we made it!

Today I met this crew down at the Sawpit Creek boat ramp, with the temperature hovering just above 40. David reported that the barometer was now climbing, not such a good thing.  The tide had just started out so we flew up the Nassau River and dipped in to Christopher Creek and fished the deep bend. We had two good bites and hookups but they threw the hook. Then, as we got around to some docks, Jeff got hot and landed a few 17 3/4" Redfish. But the tide was going out so we got out of there so as not to get stranded.

Our next stop was around at Seymore's Pointe and we fished float rigs over flooded oysters and jigs down at the base of pilings. David kept the skunk off of that spot when he landed a fat Seatrout. We bounced around the corner and fished some rocks. Dwayne got hot with a slip float, fished a little deeper than the other two, and landed 3-4 Reds. 

The final stop was down at Broward Island. The tide was still high and ripping out, not ideal, but we made the most of it and it was David who's perseverance paid off when he caught a big Trout down deep, on the bottom.  The sun was up, the temperature had warmed and even though we had only a few keeper fish, we counted it as another great day to be fishing here at Amelia Island, Florida.

No comments: