Sunday, April 15, 2018

Pompano Surprise

We had high winds forecast today, blowing out of the SE so I thought I'd take my crew - Wes Methaney, his nephew Evan, and his friend Nick and son Milan - out towards Nassau Sound and fish the mouth of Simpson Creek. It was a rock and rolling ride out there but sure enough, the wind was blocked a tad and the anglers began tossing live shrimp under floats to the marsh grass and within a minute or two we had some bites.

It was Wes's float that went under and when he hooked up it seemed to be a pretty nice fish. I was thinking "Seatrout" but when it flashed Wes said "Jack", but we were both wrong. It was a keeper sized Pompano - the first I've ever had on the boat. I googled them and see that they are typically found in the surf and cuts near the ocean, which was where we were!  But we had no real bites after that. We dipped into Simpsons, fished some jigs, then ran west and up into the Nassau.

We tried jigs and shrimp on Christopher, Shrimp under floats at Seymore's, and finished up back at Sawpit Creek tossing jigs on an outgoing tide. Each stop was made in an effort to stay out of the wind and although that helped, the fish just were not cooperating. But we got friends and family out on the boat so we counted it as another great day to be fishing here at Amelia Island, Florida

2 comments:

BroddyAdams said...

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.
apartments for rent in pompano

Anonymous said...

Watching the dolphins from the yacht is the most beautiful experience. Last month I got the chance to made a dolphins tour near Folly beach. That was an amazing experience for me. Dolphin watching Charleston SC