Friday, September 18, 2020

North Carolina Wild Trout

 Even a fishing guide has to "get away" once in a while so last week Carol and I headed up to the Blowing Rock, NC area to take in some hiking, waterfalls, antiquing, and we may have found a micro brewery here and there!  Of the seven days we spent away we got in 4 good days of long and sometimes strenuous hikes and one day of wading a mountain stream fly fishing, and a short hike back to the guide's truck. I weighed this morning and it looks like I lost 5 pounds during the trip!

After a few days we had made a move down to the Newland area and on Monday had set up the guided fly fishing trip with Dustin Kemp who works with the Mountain Bound Fly Guide service. When we talked over the phone Dustin had asked some key questions and when I said I'd prefer to wade for some wild trout he said he had just the perfect place in mind. The fish wouldn't be big or all that plentiful, but we could wade a half day, catch some wild fish and experience the North Carolina mountains as they should be.

We met Dustin outside of Banner Elk and got in his truck which was immaculate, clean, and set up for fly fishing with a lockable rod rack on top, and a "Cap" on the back that kept all of his waders, boots, and tackle safe and dry. We drove just a short distance then down a long lane along the mountain stream, and found a parking spot up in the bushes right beside the water. Although I had my own waders and boots, Dustin had brought a spare set for Carol and he laid out a changing pad for her to suit up on. Dustin unloaded a Mystic 4w Rod with a TFO reel and Weight Forward Floating line. He had taken a tapered leader, left about a 4' butt section, but tied in another 4' section of 6x leader where he tied on a floating #18 dry fly. From there he went to 7x leader with two dropper Midges, #20's, one after the other, about 12" apart.


The plan was to work up stream with Carol tagging along behind (and taking pictures). We didn't want to above the fish - they'd spook, run, and never bite.  Dustin pointed out the small pools behind rocks, shutes, runs, and tails and advised where I should "drop" my fly(s). The strategy was to sneak up the stream and "drop" the fly up ahead of the fish who (we hoped) were pointing up-current looking for something to sweep down-current where they could gobble it up!

At first, when I had a chance I'd strip some line and try to get an actual fly cast in. I could do it but I soon found out that wasn't going to work. The water was ripping thru here and there and as soon as it caught the floating fly line it would sweep the whole shebang out of the target zone. Afterwards, I realized that I had met my match in patience- Dustin gently reminded me that we were "dropping" the leader into the target zones and after a bit, it finally clicked!  The 9'-10' leader with dry and fly and dropper flies was all I needed to fish the pools and runs - pitch it with a slow roll cast, left it drift, then pitch it again or a time or three, and move on. The fly line rarely hit the water.


For a 63 year old man it was strenuous work to keep my balance - I fell  in once,  and cracked my shin another time - and I kinda wondered if I need to invest in some felt bottom wading boots - mine have rubber soles and were quite slippery on the submerged rocks.

We worked the stream for about  4 hours and had numerous "hits" and "spits", hooked up and landed a small Rainbow, hooked up and played a couple of Browns, and each time Dustin had pointed out where they would be. As the morning wore on I was getting tired and hungry and thirsty - should have taken Carol's advice and brought along that Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich she had offered to make.

But Dustin had a couple of spots left that he wanted to try, and both ended up producing fish. One spot was a huge boulder that had a small pocket behind it then another smaller boulder. I had flipped the fly(s) into the pocket 2-3 times, had something take it and run on the 2nd time, but missed it, then I went back a 4th time, right up beside the big boulder and BAM! Fish On! It put up a quite a tug for a 8" fish but boy was it fun! Dustin netted it, a Brown, and after Carol snapped a pic, we released it. 


We moved up a ways and after we got to a huge slab of stone, Dustin advised that I would probably have to climb up on the slab, lean over and flip the fly(s) over into the pool just beyond. I think it was my first cast and BOOM! I didn't see it but felt it and, Fish On! This one put up another good fight but Dustin had jumped up ahead of me, leaned in and netted a beautiful wild Rainbow trout, boy what a beautiful fish! Again, pictures and release and then we called it a day, another great one to be fishing a mountain stream in North Carolina!

If your every up in the Banner Elk, Boone, Blowing Rock area of North Carolina, contact Dustin Kemp with Mountain Bound Fly Guides. He was professional, friendly, accommodating, and patient. I got the impression that he would travel a bit to get to you if at all possible. They also offered an array of longer float trips. You can Email them HERE, or call 828-292-3882




No comments: