Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Super Duper Amelia Island Grande Slam

 

I had worn a undershirt under my fishing shirt this morning and as I was getting the boat ready I was already thinking about shedding one of them.  But I didn't. And as I launched the boat out at Goffinsville Park I was thinking about maybe going without a jacket and was 50 foot away from the truck when I thought, "naaa, better grab a jacket".  Then I met Steve Locke and his fishing buddy Jason and after just a few  minutes fishing I was getting that jacket on and zipping it up tight! The temperature was dropping and the wind was picking up! We all noted that the water was a bit muddy but in short order Steve "knocked the skunk off" with a feisty Redfish catch and in just a few more minutes Jason had a strong hookup and Big Fish On! We knew it was a big one when the drag kept ripping and the big fish thrashed up near the bank - more so than most. But Jason kept the pressure on and expertly battled it to the boat and landed a thick 25" Slot sized Redfish,

We moved up the river and fished a couple of drainages then made our way to some docks at
Seymore'sPoint. Both anglers were making excellent casts to the base of the pilings and it paid off. Steve had a strong bite and worked a big Black "puppy" Drum out, then they tagged team a good handful of the Drum to the boat and into the box.  They added a keeper sized Seatrout to make it a "Slam", then added a keeper sized Sheepshead to make it a "Grand Slam"!

After running down the Nassau to Broward Island Jason picked up two Flounder, one of which was of keeper size (but tossed back due to the season closure) - a fish that rounded out a "Super Grand Slam", then we wrapped things up back at the rocks of Nassauville where Steve hauled in a fat keeper sized Weakfish  which made it a "Super Duper Grand Slam"! And with that, we called it a day, another great one to be fishing here at Amelia Island, Florida. 



No comments: