Thursday, October 18, 2012

Flood Tide Reds

My wife said I had to stay away from the house today because she had a lady coming to clean, so what does a guy do when given that directive?  Go Fishing!  There was a flood tide due at noon, so I launched The Anglers Mark at 10am and headed up Bell River.  I scouted one spot just across from the marina, then hit another spot nearby, but saw no tails.  After cruising up Bell and cutting through into Tiger Basin I found a nice, small flooded area where I've caught flood tide reds before.  Sure enough, I wasn't there long when I saw a tail pop up. And then another, up in the taller grass.  It was closer so I took a shot at it, but was ignored.  Another fish was working its way towards me so when it got to within casting distance, I put a spoon fly off to it's right with my 8w Sage fly rod.  I was in luck because the Redfish ate it's way toward where my fly landed and then a made big boil on the fly, and FISH ON!  I had a good battle with this fish and because the water was so shallow I could tell it was a nice slot Redfish.  He eventually wore out and I was able to net a 24" Redfish!  Later, another slot Red was working the edges of the flat and then it too came my way!  The fish got so close I could follow it easily from the bow of my boat and watch it feed in the area.  I made a couple of good casts, had no take, then unfortunately I lined the fish with a cast, OUCH!  It blew out of there like a rocket!  I checked another grass flat behind Tiger, saw not fish, then headed back to an area near the marina. The tide was really up now, almost slack, and off in the distance I could see tailing Reds!  I got out of the boat and waded over some really hard ground to get within casting distance, which I never really did.  These fish must have knew that it would be time to leave the flat soon because as I eased towards each one, they'd disappear under the water and did not show again.  After about 30 minutes of chasing fish I headed back to the boat and called it a day, another great one to be out on Amelia Island waters!

No comments: