Friday, July 17, 2020

Oversized Red Starts The Day

I fished this morning with Paul Clark and his longtime friend Dean, meeting them down at the Sawpit Creek boat ramp. We made a long run thru Middle River and around to Pumpkin Hill to set up near some flooded oyster beds on the last of an incoming tide. Both anglers were tossing live shrimp under floats and were getting "nibbles" hear and there, but no takers. I had just switched Paul to a mud minnow when his float disappeared and, BOOM! Float Gone and Fish On!  Paul played it perfectly, worked it out between some crab pot floats and got it into deeper water then the battle ensued.  The big fish went deep a few times, and I was calling "Shark" but when it rolled up behind the boat I was changing my tune!  Paul worked it to the boat patiently and soon landed a 29.75" oversized Redfish - boy what a fish!

We fished around the corner briefly then made the run back to Seymore's Pointe where we set up and caught a good handful of Mangrove Snapper, a few of which were legal.  We then moved down to Spanish Drop and picked up a couple of Flounder, one of which was of keeper sized. I tried the new Athens Drop spot but I guess the guess Tuesday fished it out!  But we had had some action early in the morning, it was a beautiful day, so we counted it as another great one to be fishing here at Amelia Island, Florida

No comments: