Sunday, January 30, 2022

StaYmo Trolling Motor Shock Absorber/Stabilizer

 

After a winter of having boat fiberglass repairs done, trailer repairs done, I also had my Minnkota 112lb Terrova trolling motor overhauled and "tightened" up. I have noticed for years that while running down the river, and especially going over wakes, the trolling motor head has bounced a little too much. I have known that surely that can't be good for it, but I was reluctant to drill (more) holes in my deck and really didn't want another object on the deck and in the way. I you've fished with me you know that I can not stand tripping over something and like to keep my deck clear

After searching the internet I came across the StaYmo Shock Abosorber/Stabilizer. It doesn't drill to the deck, but instead fastens to the shaft of the trolling motor with a Velcro strap. The unit itself has a spring built in and the base is a "suction" type cup. I was worried that the StaYmo wouldn't work because me deck is checkered/non-skid but after trading Emails with them they assured me that it would work, it didn't need to suction.

They come in two sizes so you have to take a measurement of your installed trolling motor (I almost screwed up - I took my measurement with my boat cover on and it pushes my motor down, but luckily the unit I ordered was just right). It has some adjustments by removing a plastic nut and shifting a pin up or down. It's a 1-minute adjustment!

All you have to do after that is strap the Velcro over the shaft and done. While running down the river I noticed the StayMo acted as a shock absorber as we hit waves. 

I had thought I would have to remove the unit at every stop but I decided to just run the shaft locking nut all the way up to where the StaYmo was strapped and operated the trolling motor with the StaYmo still strapped on. It looks a little goofy and I thought for sure the cable would wrap, but I didn't have an issue. The cable already get's caught on the locking nut on occasion so I assume it will catch on the StaYmo, but we'll see.

For me, this was the perfect shock absorber to get. I didn't have to drill holes, it supports my trolling motor shaft, and so far, I can leave it attached. Here's a very brief video running down the river. 



The only place I see them for sale are on Etsy, CLICK HERE


No comments: