Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Recipe Of The Month (Top Secret): Redfish Couvillion

Secret Agent (TM007) infiltrated Louisiana last month to fish, visit friends, eat, and then he slipped out under the cover of darkness with a Secret Recipe of  Paul's Louisiana Redfish Couvillion (COO-be-yahn)! What a score!  It took some cajoling, some arm wrenching, and some libations to get that Secret Agent to divulge the recipe but finally, he reached the end of his endurance and gave it up!  Here it is:

1)  Catch some Redfish!  This batch I used two large Redfish filets.

Filet and season the cubed Redfish. "Paul" (not sure if that is his real name)  recommends Tony Chachere's, I used Konricko Creole Seasoning.

Make a dark pecan colored roux - equal parts oil and flour. I used two heaping Tablespoons of bacon grease, and two heaping Tablespoons of flour.

1 Medium onion, chopped


2 bell peppers, chopped

2 stalks of celery, chopped

1 teaspoon of crushed garlic

1 Jalapeno pepper, chopped

1 shallot, chopped

1 can diced tomatoes

1/2 -3/4 box of chicken stock

parsley or green onion tops for garnish.

After getting the roux ready, add onions, bell peppers, garlic and celery....cook until onions are clear. I added a little bit of the chicken stock while this was cooking (maybe I should have had more roux?)

Add diced tomatoes....Add jalapeno peppers and the shallots.

Add chicken stock to cover ingredients. Cook on low until there is an oil slick forming and peppers begin to soften (about 20-30 minutes). 

Bring to a boil and add the seasoned fish. Cook until is fish is done - it will go from opaque to white, just when the mixture comes to a light boil. You don't want to overcook it because the fish will breach up (you could still eat it but you want those chunks of Redfish!). 

I served this over some wild rice with some fried green tomatoes on the side. 

Garnish with Parsley or chopped Green Onion tops. 

Editors(that's me). Note: Chief Taste Tester (my wife Carol) commented that "if this is Cajun why isn't there some sausage in here?"  And I replied, "yes, and some shrimp!"  But I got to thinking, those two additions, plus some Okra would make it Gumbo!  This was very good to get those Redfish chunks and  not be overwhelmed or distracted by the other ingredients. Truth be told, I added some Franks Hot Sauce when I warmed it up for lunch as a leftover.

No comments: