Saturday, May 14, 2022

They Ought To Call It Iron Man!

I just sent off a couple of Osprey CE Florida Fishing Products reels back for repair, refurbishment and cleaning and I got to thinking I'm still using one of the original Osprey's with no refurbishment needed.  I contacted Cael down at FFP to check the date of when I purchased that first pair of reels. One was a 2500 Osprey that I use on my 7' rods for float rigs and top water lures, and one was a 1000 Osprey that I use for on a 6'6" rod for jigs on the bottom. That 1000 is still going strong!

Cael let me know that I first purchased those in June of 2019!  I looked thru my records, did the math, and figured that I had fished that reel approximately 453 trips! Give or take a few trips. That's crazy. It has developed a nice patina and is still catching fish. See picture to right. I'm thinking about adding it to my "Vintage" fishing tackle collection!

When FFP came out with the Osprey CE's, I ordered six of them and installed them on all of my rods, replacing the Shimano Stradics I've used for years. As many of you know, my reels get severely abused - dropped on the deck, cranked while the drag is ripping, and on occasion, dipped in the river. That was a couple of years ago, at least, so the "newer" ones have 200-300 trips under their belt. 


Unfortunately I had to send two of the reels back recently (see dunking in the river) They hadn't lasted as long as that first one but they've more than passed my expectations on how long a reel should last before needing refurbishment. To send them back you complete a form and send it in with the reels. I don't know if they turn everyone's around as quick as they did mine, but I had them back in a short week. I was floored when I opened the box and found two "like new" reels. They were repaired and I could tell parts had been replaced. 

Each day after a finish a trip I rinse my rods and reels with fresh water. I take a long handled soft brush and dip it in a mixture of water and dish soap then wash the rods and reels thoroughly. I let them drip dry then turn them upside down and shake any excess water off before storing them for the next day. I've gotten in the habit of lubricating some of the exterior parts if I have to-restring the reels for whatever reason.

If you're wanting an alternative to those expensive Shimano Stradic reels, check out Florida Fishing
Products Osprey CE reels
. Those 1000's? I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many oversized Redfish have been caught on my boat (and released) with one of them!

No comments: