Sunday, May 8, 2022

Recipe of the Month: Belly Meat Chowder

 My friend and  fishing buddy Daniel Rhodes chastised me one day while I was cleaning fish. Normally I filet them, then cut the rib and belly meat out and toss it to the Seagulls. "Piper, don't be throwing away that belly meat". I've got to admit there is a lot of meat in that portion so now when I'm cleaning fish for customers I'll sometimes save it if they don't want it. I bring it home and either cook it that night or freeze it noted as "Belly Meat". It makes great Fish Chowder. I  threw this together as a recipe:

4-8 pieces of "Belly/Rib" meat. I prefer Redfish because the bones are bigger, but in this batch I used                                                             about 8 pieces of  Redfish and Seatrout

24oz bag of Honey Gold (small) potatoes, chopped


2  small stalks of celery, chopped

1/2 of a small onion, chopped

2 handfuls of frozen corn

1  link of Sausage (I used Nettles Old Grandad Hot), chopped

1-2 T bacon grease

2 T butter

1/2 C Heavy Whipping Cream

1/2 C milk

1 tsp  Konricko seasoning, 

In a skillet, heat the bacon grease and cook the sausage for a bit, then add the celery, onions and corn. Cook until the sausage is browned, the onions begin to go translucent, and the celery begins to soften. Turn off heat.

Fill a large pot half full with water. As  you bring it to boil, drop the Redfish/Trout belly meat in and it will cook fairly quickly. When it turns white, take it out and let it cool, then add the potatoes and begin to boil them. While the potatoes are cooking, open a beer, and de-bone the fish!  As mentioned, Redfish have bigger rib bones and are easier to feel. Cook the potatoes until you can stick a fork thru them. Turn the heat off, drain most of the water, leaving about a cup. 

Add the sausage/onion/celery/corn mixture.

Add the butter, Heavy Whipping Cream, Milk, and Seasoning (may need to add more to taste).

Stir, turn heat back on and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn back down to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

😆 🤣 you're good man Captain Piper