Saturday, June 17, 2023

Culling Times Two

 Most folks know that my "wind cutoff" is at 15mph. So when I got in from yesterday's morning trip and sat down for a "picnic" at Old Town Bait and  Tackle and checked my cell phone for the weather report for an afternoon trip and saw 19mph I was somewhat chagrined. But the weather was nice, just a bit overcast and the wind was out of the west so I enjoyed the lunch and waited for Michael Monroe and his fishing buddy Phil.

With that wind blowing we decided to stay in the shelter and made or way up Eagans Creek to fish jigs and live shrimp up near some dock pilings on the last of an outgoing tide. In just minutes Michael had a hookup, a good battle, and landed a 23" Slot Redfish! 2 hours later, 12 Slot Reds later, 25 fish later, I checked my watch and the fish bite had finally slowed. At one point we had 4 Slot Reds in the boat and then it hit me ( this being my 2nd trip, I was tired and it just didn't click), the limit was 1 per person!  So we culled fish and continued to cull. In addition to those Reds, Phil put a keeper sized Sheepshead in the boat, and the duo had a good handful of small but fun to catch Black "puppy" Drum. We also had one "no spot" Redfish!


After that bonanza we made our way down the intercoastal, fished some rocks for just a bit, then continued on down to Seymore's Pointe to fish another dock. We caught fish again, one after the other - good eating Mangrove Snapper. Again, they caught their limit as we ran out of shrimp and we began to cull. I remembered that I had a handful of mud minnows left so we fished them and that's when we caught our biggest Mangroves! We had a long run back to Old Town and as we headed back we were able to reflect on what a great day of fishing we'd had here at Amelia Island, Florida

No comments: