Monday, September 14, 2026

My Very First Paid Charter

 I started keeping a fishing journal in 1998 - I'd make note of where I fished and what we caught, etc. After I got my Captains license in 2007,  I continued to keep a written journal while I started running charters and the very first trip was recorded on July 23, 2007:


It reads....

My first paid charter, w/ Bill Evans & grandson(?) Jokim.  Went up Boggy Creek 7am, tide hi, starting out. Started fishing past Police Lodge. Bill hung something big, got off. (Beetle Spin) Jokim caught a nice  bream on worm. Fished until 11:00

I actually remember that trip - Mr. Evans had brought along his 9' fly rod - I had it in one of my console side rod holders. As we ran up Boggy we approached the "Hump Back" bridge -cool if you've never seen it - and I slowed to a crawl to ease thru the pilings safely. But I was so intent on making it thru safely I forgot that Mr. Evan's fly rod was sticking up in the rod holder as we started under the bridge, BAM, BAM, BAM...and the top section of the rod came off!  I cringed. Luckily it just separated and pushed back together with no damage. It was an inauspicious start, to say the least.  Although my "repeat" rate for customers is pretty good, I never got to fish with Mr. Evans again. 

I kept the written journal going and also began to "Blog" my trips in 2008 (keeping a double journal) and did both thru April 2013 - that's a long time of being hardheaded and not turning loose of the "old school" recordings.


No comments: